Thursday, April 14, 2011

Me and My Big Mullet



I confess. I am growing a mullet. HOWEVER...not on purpose. I don't know if it's genetics (my daughter's hair grows the same way) my styling technique or what, but the back of my hair (from the nape to the crown) grows so much faster than the top (crown and front). It drives me crazy! In it's curly form the shape is basically even. It styles rather "bob-ish" which I love. But when I blow it out, or stretch it to check for growth the story is always the same. Long in the back, short up front. I might as well cut bangs! All the hair I envy is so long and even all the way around, it just makes your hair look so much fuller to have length in the front and crown.


What is causing this?!

I thought it was because of wearing high pony tails and buns. The logic behind this is that the pulling in the back was some how having a barbie effect, i.e. providing a constant stretch that encouraged my hair to emerge from its rooted shelter. But tension can't be GOOD for hair, so that can't be it.

Then I thought it was because I did most of my washing and conditioning in the shower. To wash my hair in the shower I have to tip my head back thereby allowing all the good stuff to settle on the back of my head thus making my hair longer in the back. But in actuality when I apply my conditioner I really slather it on in the front and I'm kind of lazy by the time I get to the back.

I currently blame my styling technique. I don't think I part it evenly. What should be evenly divided 25% each quartered sections end up being more  like two 40% sections in the front and two 10% sections in the back. So the twists I do in the front sections are a lot larger than those I do in the back and those front sections are treated with less sensitivity and care.

So now I divide my hair into a tic-tac-toe board with three horizontal and three vertical sections. this also allows me to pay special attention to my crown area, which is even shorter than the front. Knowing that it's more about retaining length than growing I think I need to take a kindler, gentler approach to my hair, especially in those areas. I mean it IS growing. I can tell by the un-henna tinted new growth. *sigh* it's just taking so much more time than the back.

Whatever it takes to grow my big, huge, healthy hair Imma "git 'er done!"
Sorry for the Bathroom pic. But I didn't realize it was a good hair day until I got to work =)

No comments:

Post a Comment